<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 12, 2004

Fry & Laurie as Watson & Holmes 

I don't know how I missed this news from a few weeks back, but after seeing it posted today on rec.arts.mystery, I searched around, and yes, the rumor's true:

Comedy duo Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are set to reunite to play Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson in a one-off drama for ITV1.

The pair met at Cambridge University in the 1980s and have co-starred in TV shows including Jeeves and Wooster and A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

Fry, who is known to be a keen Sherlock fan, will play the Victorian detective, with Laurie as his loyal sidekick.


While some folks are greeting the news with some disdain, I'm certainly curious, and guardedly excited. I'm a huge fan of Stephen Fry, whether as a comedian, actor or novelist (MAKING HISTORY was excellent, as was THE LIAR) and Hugh Laurie's swell both on his own or with Fry. Jeeves & Wooster, anyone? So I think they can pull it off, as long as they don't go too over the top in characterization. Guess we'll see how it goes, though!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?