<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 27, 2004

If you need more reasons to read this book... 

then I refer you to Bookmunch's review of David Peace's GB84:

Two things. First of all: shirkers, part-time readers, those ill-equipped to read a book that demands your fullest commitment, those people who, like, read for fun, or for escapism - GB84 is not for you. Fans of David Peace, even - those people who made their way through the Red Riding Quartet in its entirety (that's 1974, 1977, 1980 and 1983 for the unitiated) - well, even you guys better prepare yourself.

GB84 does not tolerate fools gladly.

GB84 takes no prisoners. This is the second thing, really. I want you to imagine the reading equivalent of a sledgehammer, pounding you again and again (and again and again) for the course of 465 pages. A sledgehammer capable of educating you as to the savagery of the mundane. GB84 is no easy ride.


This book is coming with me during my travels tomorrow (yup, another short-haul trip on the horizon, means less blogging blah blah blah) but I wonder if I'll actually tackle it at that point. Reading Peace's works to date is always an emotionally draining experience and I need time (in the form of popcorn books) to recover. But dammit, that's what I love about him.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?