<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 28, 2003

Dating Myths Debunked 

After Maccers' now infamous "The Modern Drunk's Guide to Dating Women, Part I" circulated the blog-world in a virus-like fashion, I didn't think I'd find anything that would come close to its sheer wisdom and truth (and hilarity, of course.) But then Irish author John Connolly put up his treatise on the "Ten Great Myths About the Lonely and Brokenhearted," which first ran in the Irish Times back in 1999 (not 2001, as his site says.)
My favorite of the myths:

6. There is someone for everyone.

This is true. When I was in school her name was Lisa, and the going rate was a Mars bar.


Vicious, but frank. The rest of the article's about as pointed as well.

The other interesting thing to note is that for some reason or another, John changed the last line from what was in the original piece. Then, it read, "Love exists, but you have to be out there to find it. Just don't come running to me when it all falls apart." In the new version, it's now "Hey, and when you do, keep it to yourself, okay? The rest of us have enough problems without adding your happiness to them. . . " I'm guessing the new coda packs a greater wallop, considering the rest of the article's content...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?