<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The verdict is in 

As expected, Green River Killer Gary Leon Ridgway pleaded guilty to the murders of 48 women in Washington since 1982, making him, at least in terms of admitted killings, the worst serial killer in US history (only Russia's Andrei Chikatilo tops him, with 52 murders of Russian women and children in the 1980s.) Ridgway described his actions in chilling detail:

"In most cases, when I murdered these women, I did not know their names," Ridgway's statement to the court said. "Most of the time, I killed them the first time I met them. I do not have a good memory for their faces. I killed so many women, I have a hard time keeping them straight.

"I hate most prostitutes. I did not want to pay them for sex," he acknowledged. "I also picked prostitutes as victims because they were easy to pick up, without being noticed. I knew they would not be reported missing right away, and might never be reported missing."


Prosecutors will ask for 48 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole. However, no word on what the state of Oregon, where several of Ridgway's victims were found, will decide with regards to charging him or seeking the death penalty.




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?