<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

New Content for the Thanksgiving Week 

Unlike my fellow bloggers, I'll be posting through the Thanksgiving holiday, since, well, I already had mine. Though since I spent the last two years in the US, I must say that Thanksgiving turned out to be one of my favorite times of the year, as I got to spend a fair amount of time with family members I don't normally see on a regular basis. So for everyone celebrating--enjoy, stay close to family and friends, watch some great football games, and get stuffed on Turkey.

Now to the news:

The shortlist for the 2003 Hughes & Hughes / Sunday Independent Irish Novel of the Year Award has been announced:

The Very Man by Chris Binchy (Pan Macmillan)
Lost Souls by Michael Collins (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
Schopenhauer's Telescope by Gerard Donovan (Scribner)
Dancer by Colum McCann (Orion)
The Parts by Keith Ridgway (Faber)
Two for Joy by Patricia Scanlan (Bantam Press)

I know that DANCER has been reviewed extensively, but the only one of the shortlist I've read is the marvellous LOST SOULS. Although I'm sure the other nominees are worthy, that's the book I'm rooting for.

Changes are afoot at Random House. First layoffs, and now the Fodor's imprint is being revamped.

Colleen McCollough may not be as imposing as she once was, but she's still going very strong, thank you very much. The Age takes a look at the woman behind THE THORN BIRDS and the Roman Empire Chronicles.

Publishers are hoping that the Harry Potter books will lead to an explosion of sales in children's fantasy novels. They might be getting their wish.

Although I've been a little leery about the idea that Alan Dershowitz can write a book about Israel's place in the world, evidently he gets it right, according to Jonathan Dorfman at the Boston Globe.

As pointed out yesterday by Terry Teachout, the literary critic Hugh Kenner has died at the age of 80.

Last year the Sulzbergers of New York Times fame took over the helm of the International Herald Tribune, upsetting the balance of control they shared with the Grahams of the Washington Post. It looks like the move is turning out to be one big headache, according to the New York Observer.

And finally, with the New Year approaching, it's good to keep an eye on what literary events will be on in my adopted city of New York. Doing as fine a job as Sam does with the Chicago scene is Stilljohn.com, which keeps track of the big box store signings, the indies, and practically everything else in the NYC area. See for yourselves.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?