<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 17, 2003

Manic Monday 

Apologies, but the big announcement will have to wait another day or so. These things are beyond my control.....

So it seems that Tony Perkins, who founded Red Herring Magazine and runs the AlwaysOn Network, wanted to write a book about Google and solicited his site members to help him out. Brian Dear of Brianstorms.com didn't think much of the idea, and now the New York Times is all over this. More proof that blogging is really in the mainstream now....

Speaking of the NYT, there's an excellent article on hardboiled Japanese fiction writer Natsuo Kirino, whose novel OUT was recently translated into English.

The Guardian features an interview with Hanif Kureshi, where he speaks of a rather frightening incident involving racial profiling, among many other nuggets:

Kureishi was arrested, recently, for a driving offence and taken to a police station. "The policeman said to me, 'Racial background?' And he looked me up and down. 'Of Mediterranean appearance,' he said. I said, 'That's not a true description of me.' He said, 'It's not your opinion, it's my opinion.' I said, 'It's not really a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.' And he underlined it: 'Of Mediterranean appearance. And I was really offended. You think, this fucker can write anything or say anything; it doesn't matter who I am, he can just do this. Imagine what it's like for people who are really in the shit."

In light of the 50th Anniversary of the Paris Review, Robert McCrum takes a good look at the "little magazines."

Publishers Weekly has their huge Year End in Books feature. Naturally, I suggest you all pay close attention to the Mystery selections, although there's plenty good crime fiction in the mainstream category as well.

January Magazine's featured review is of Michel Houllenbecq's latest controversial novel PLATFORM.

On the crime fiction side, the latest Nicci French is picked apart at the Guardian, and January Magazine's wonderful "Rap Sheet" is up for your perusal as well. No reviews by me in this edition, though my friend and colleague Jennifer Jordan has five or six.

The latest installment of the Save Our Short Story Anthology has been posted, featuring short stories from Ian Rankin and Tony Kerr.

Oline Cogdill's latest column reviews Steve Berry's THE AMBER ROOM (she's disappointed) and Sean Doolittle's BURN (she's delighted, with good reason.) I also missed last week's column which features reviews of new novels by Jake Lamar and Gary Phillips.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?