<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

So much for singing soprano 

A fake doctor is charged with performing a castration procedure on a transgendered individual.

Every time I read a story like this--which, granted, isn't very often--I flash back to an incident when I was about ten, attending synagogue. The then-rabbi of my synagogue (who later gained notoriety for making his resignation speech from the pulpit, but didn't actually leave for another six months) decided, instead of a sermon, to play Q&A with the congregants. Somehow the topic turned to what cosmetic procedures were allowable under Jewish law in order to guarantee a good marriage (or shittuch).

The week before I had just finished Voltaire's CANDIDE. That's the only defense I have for the question I proceeded to ask....

Suffice it to say that the rabbi stuck to sermons from then on.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?