<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

The rest of the Daggers 

It's going to be a light posting day but believe me, I will have more comments on the full Dagger list later. For now, I comment on the Gold Dagger (Best novel) and the Creasey (best First Novel)

GOLD DAGGER:
Boris Akunin - The Winter Queen - Weidenfeld & Nicholson
Morag Joss - Half Broken Things - Hodder & Stoughton
Robert Littell - The Company - Macmillan
Carlo Lucarelli - Almost Blue - Harvill
Minette Walters - Fox Evil - Macmillan
Robert Wilson - The Blind Man Of Seville - HarperCollins

--This is NOT the list I would have picked, but I also happen to know the overall tastes of the committee which is, shall I say, rather old-fashioned. I liked the lotAkunin book quite a lot, as well as the Lucarelli, which I read right before I left London. And all the rest have gotten great reviews so....why am I underwhelmed? Maybe it's just because I woke up.

Now the Creasey, this gets me upset:

Rod Duncan - Backlash - Pocketbooks
William Landay - Mission Flats - Bantam
CJ Sansom - Dissolution - Macmillan

How the HELL were only three books picked?! And of that, one of them is US only. Now don't get me wrong, I think MISSION FLATS should be on every debut awards list. DISSOLUTION came highly recommended to me (I promise I will get to it after a false start) and the Rod Duncan has been getting good reviews but....but....what about Chris Simms' OUTSIDE THE WHITE LINES? Edward Wright's CLEA'S MOON? Babs Horton's A JARFUL OF ANGELS? Granted, a lot of the excellent debut novels I have read a) are US only b) are not actually released in the UK but come on, it couldn't have been that hard to come up with a fuller shortlist.

(Thanks to Mike Stotter for tipping me to the full list. He thinks Wilson will win the Gold Dagger and Walters will get the silver.....)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?